Thursday, May 11, 2006

Let's Talk About... Food!

I don't know why I don't write more about food, since that is one of my favorite things in life. Anyway, I feel it is my moral obligation to let you all know about Trader Joe's Carne Asada. If you live near a TJ's, you already know you are incredibly fortunate and eat better than most people in the world. I need to give Joy credit for telling me about their pre-marinated carne asada. In the past few months, this has been a weekly dinner for Jeff and me. It is a flank steak, so it takes about eight minutes to cook. Grill some onions and bell peppers (I make a pouch of tinfoil with oregano, salt, pepper and- scandalously- a little bacon fat,) heat some black beans with lime juice, and then slice an avocado, and you are in for one of the best, quickest meals of your life. With a little more work and much more reward, you can enjoy this with sliced grapefruit and cold sangria. If you haven't tried, it yet, get to a TJ's this week and get some! I think most readers are enjoying some beautiful weather right now, so it is perfect for an evening of leisurely eating outdoors.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got good news, Ariana! According to what I've just been reading in Randy Alcorn's book 'Heaven', food and other parts of redeemed human culture will play a part in the New Earth. And there will be some continuity in things, so it can be one of your favorite things in the afterlife too. By the way, Mom was inspired to make carne asada the other night after talking to you and it was great!

annie said...

It's fun to hear YOU rave about meat, of all things! And bacon fat!! Wow!
It reminds me of when I began my love affair with giant chipotle burritos when I was about six months pregnant.
See you soon!

Heidi said...

I am already missing TJ's, so my mouth is watering as I read this. Yum. I also just got caught up on the rest of your blogs that I missed. I love Amelia's shoes. I'd wear most of the myself. And you are a very cute 8 month pregnant girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try it! Thank you for the great idea! Yum... can't wait. By the way, I loved your description of Amelia's antics. I passed it on to the lady who teaches OB nursing in our department, and she enjoyed it too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! Its Craig from Faith...I cant figure out how to e-mail you so i hope you read this...my sister told me about your blog...email me when you get a chance radiocraig@yahoo.com Im glad your life looks so well. married prego and all. congrats!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ariana,

I found your blog through a ton of Faithies. I was actually looking for Kelli, Raina and Annie, and came across you on Annie's. Anyway, good to "see" you. I'm happy for you and your baby! I have 2 boys and twins on the way. Pretty amazing--all this growing up!

Take care. ANd keep eating for that baby!!!

-Lisa Taylor (now Lisa Kelly)
thekellys4@netzero.com

DaveShack said...

I'll vouch for that asada, fixings, grapefruit, beans and sangria meal being awesome. And yes, I love hearing my formerly vegan sister rave about meat. Ariana, you're probably able to appreciate it more than the rest of us. But I'd bet that you could probably manage a pretty mean marinade on your own.

Nathan said...

We just had it the other night. Great! The seasoning made the steak good for a beef salad the next day too. That's one tender cut when you slice it against the grain!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you tried it! We have consistently eaten this every week for the past 3-4 months. And I almost always have a steak salad the next day, too! It was fun running into Grandma and Grandpa at TJ's yesterday and they showed me that they were buying the carne asada to try as well. Makes me feel like I can make a difference for the better in this world.